This gorgeous little chair is mine. We bought it many years ago from a chapel in the east end of London that had been converted into a second hand shop. A real dive which later became quite trendy and expensive. I don't know if it's still there and don't suppose I could find it if I tried!
The black is inlaid with mother of pearl. Sadly time has taken its toll and some of the pearl is missing but the lilly of the valley on the back panel is gorgeous.
This chair has always sat in my bedroom - usually under a pile of clothes. The cane was always a little rickety but I was always reluctant to tackle it because, well, just because really!
Finally, I had a go. I had finished Pat's chair (see previous post) and had pinned the final fabric onto the French lady's chairs. I had a spare afternoon. Down came the chair and with Max's help off came the frame.
The frame was in immaculate condition and the chair itself needed no reglueing at all - very rare in my experience. So it was all systems go.
A shape like this throws up challenges - mostly of dexterity and perseverance. Diagonal canes are always fiddly and you have to be on your guard around the edges to make sure they go over/under as appropriate. On a seat with curves the options increase to include not only what's appropriate but also what looks correct and what is possible. Several times I would weave a cane and then dither over which hole to put it through. It should be obvious but you can only bend a cane so far!
I THINK they are all in the right place but I'm open to correction!