I was asked if it would be possible to reupholster the seat and replace the tapestry cover. The obvious problem was the memory of the fabric. It had been on the chair for a long time and where it is folded over the seat there would be a "memory" which would be difficult to pull out.
In the end, I decided to gently stretch the tapestry. Worried that the colour (especially the red) would run, I only sprayed it damp and then pinned it to my workroom table where it stayed for about three days. (The red wasn't colourfast and my table has interesting marks to prove it!) The stretching took out the worst of the fold lines and I had something I could work with.
Once it was back in place it looked lovely. The new upholstery was firmer and more compact so it was a new game getting the cover to fit round the corners - remember, it was already cut - but I managed to hide the one really problematical bit with a small piece of fabric underneath and the decorative nail did the rest.