A short time ago I saw a photo of a beautiful cardigan on the MK Facebook page. It was love at first sight and I immediately started working out how I could make something similar. Before I start I want to credit the designer of the original - Sidsel Hoivik and if you click her name it will take you to the website and the original photo.
My cardigan is not identical but it is pretty close - the border design and the colours for example.
For any colour work on the machine I mostly use Supersoft from Mon Sheep Shop. The range of colours is wonderful and Cindy sends out the orders very quickly. This yarn is lightly oiled and passes through the machine beautifully.
The body worked up easily and as usual I left three centre needles out of work for the front so that I could cut open the centre and not have to worry about matching up the pattern. The collar was also cut and sew.
For the arms I tried something new to me. I always find it very tedious stitching sleeves to the body (laziness) so I decided to work them top down. I do this anyway when I knit by hand so it was just a matter of figuring out what to decrease and when.
All went well and I cast off the first sleeve. And tried it on. And it was way too short. Hmmm. That border involves a lot of colour changes and I was a little low on the dark green.
And so it was surgery.
I ripped back the main part of the sleeve to a place in the pattern that would be recognisable and gathered both lots of loose stitches onto spare needles.
And then the fun started. I had to rehang the sleeve on the machine and make sure I matched up the pattern. I can't really explain how I did this. Suffice to say that in future I will make sure I know which the centre stitch really is.
I ended up being off by one stitch but fortunately the green and silver grey are close in tone and it is invisible to all but me.
And so I reknit the sleeve, adding the required amount of length and I then joined the sleeve to the cuff using Kitchener Stitch. It was ok I suppose. 100 stitches on each needle and you definitely get better as you go along.
It's a bit messy but never mind. I knit the second sleeve top to bottom. And tried on the jacket. And the sleeves were now 7cms too long. Hmmmmmmmm plus a few expressions of frustration. I have long arms but 7cms is just too much. Guess what. I told myself that the only way to get better at Kitchener Stitch was to cut off the sleeves, remove the offending 7cms and join them again. And so I did.
All finally went my way. The join was so much better that it is now barely noticeable. The button bands went on and as I couldn't find a zip for the front I machine sewed button holes. (Green thread would have been better I know.)
I am ultimately very happy with this little cardigan. Plenty of room for improvement but I'm looking forward to warmer weather when it will be perfect.